One of the most scenic and challenging running races in Arizona. This challenging course is located in the scenic and cool Ponderosa Pine forest of Groom Creek just 5 miles South of Prescott. The 5k and 2 mile courses stay on smooth pavement with rolling hills. The 10k and 1/2 marathon courses begin and end on pavement, but also wind through the forest on smooth, wide dirt forest roads.
Event T-Shirt and Goody Bag with entry. Finisher Medal for all 1/2 Marathon runners. Medals for Top 3 Finishers in Age Group (1/2M, 10K, 5K). Aids Stations throughout all courses.
Groom Creek Classic 12th Annual 1/2 M, 10K, 5K & 2m Saturday, September 24, 2016 @ 8:00 AM
The 2016 Groom Creek Classic is presented by Native Air
- Event Flyer: Click here for a printable PDF flyer (coming soon).
- REGISTER ONLINE NOW
- In-person registration will be available Saturday morning. Please leave yourself enough time to register and check in. No guarantees on shirts or goody bags for late registration.
RACE TIMES AND PACKET PICKUP
Attention runners! We are looking forward to seeing you all on the 26th. Be ready to enjoy another great morning in the pines of Groom Creek. With that, here are a few updates for you… Run Times:
- 1/2 Marathon – 8:00 am
- 10k – 9:00 am
- 5k – 9:15 am
- 2-Mile Fun Walk – 9:20 am
Awards: Awards are given to the top three overall in the 10k and 1/2 marathon, as well as to the top 3 in each age group division for the 5k, 10k, and 1/2 marathon. Awards will be announced and given at approximately 11:00 am. Goodies and Perks:
- High quality tech t-shirt to all preregistered runners.
- Goodie bag to all preregistered runners.
- Generous age group classifications: The 5k, 10k, and half marathon runners can compete for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place medals in the following male and female age groups: 0-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65 and above.
- Custom finisher medal to the first 100 half marathon runners to cross the finish line.
- FREE bag check.
- FREE post-run food provided by Friendly Pines Camp.
- FREE parking.
- Raffle drawing after the run with lots of great prizes (hey – we gave away a gas grill last year)!
Packet Pickup: You can pick up packets and check in the morning of the run. We recommend showing up 30-45 minutes before your run kicks off to check in. For your convenience we will offer FREE BAG CHECK. We will provide an attended area where you can check in your race packets, jackets, and other non-valuable items after you check in. We will not be responsible for any lost or stolen items, so please keep valuables at home or in your vehicle.
- First aid will be available on the course.
- A visor, sunscreen and proper shoes can help get you across the finish line safely. Also, it can be a little cool in the mornings so pack accordingly. Event will be held rain or shine, so be prepared!
- No bicycles, roller-skates, roller blades, pets, alcohol, or vehicles allowed on the event course.
- Jogging strollers will be permitted. Please be considerate of other runners, and make sure to keep plenty of clearance around you and allow other runners room to pass.
- You agree to abide by these rules by submitting your registration.
THANK OUR 2016 SPONSORS:
We could not do it without these folks! Click on any sponsor logo below to visit their website.
Groom Creek, located 5 miles south of Prescott in the Ponderosa Pines.
- DIRECTIONS: As you enter Prescott westbound on Highway 69 from I-17, or southbound on Highway 89, the road will turn into Gurley Street. This is the main thoroughfare of Prescott. At Mt. Vernon Street, turn south (i.e. left). If you reach Jack in the Box, or Downtown Prescott, you’ve gone too far. There is a Friendly Pines Camp sign on the southwest corner of Gurley & Mt. Vernon.
- Mount Vernon St. then becomes the Senator Highway; follow the pavement up into the hills about 5 miles.
- Turn right at Marapai Road, and follow the pavement about 1/2 mile. Turn left on Peter Mackin Drive (dirt road), which will become Friendly Pines Road as you cross Groom Creek at the bottom of the hill. About 1/2 mile beyond the end of the pavement, you’ll see our large sign on the right. Turn in and follow the pavement into camp!
- PARKING: Carpooling is recommended, but Friendly Pines Camp will provide parking for 200 cars. Overflow parking will be available. All parking is free.
- CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE MAP (PDF).
Additional Run Information:
Elevation and Incline Info
- Click here to view a run map with elevation information (2m, 5k, and 10k)
- 1/2 Marathon Elevation and Incline Info:
Strava Route for the 1/2 Marathon
Avenza PDFMaps Smartphone App
- Runners can download an app from Avenza called PDFMaps to their smartphone
- Apple and Droid OS versions available (download from iTunes or Google Play)
- The app can view a Geo-referenced PDF on your phone.
- Click here to download the Groom Creek Classic Run PDF for the app.
- Runners can download this map, configure it with the phone app, and then will have a GPS location of themselves on the Race course within the Avenza App. Runners can see water stations and turnarounds.
Event Flyer: Coming soon.
Refund Policy: Event is rain or shine. No refunds will be given for race registration fees should runners change their mind about participating. If the event is cancelled due to extreme weather or some other unforeseen circumstance, we may offer refunds and/or the option to put your entry fee toward the next event.
Change Policy: You may change your distance choice. If you upgrade from the 5k or 10k to the 1/2 marathon you will be asked to pay the difference. In the case of downgrades, we will not offer partial refunds. However, keep in mind that 100% of your entry fee is going to a good cause.